Its officially known as Church of St Augustine & St John the Baptist, but to most Dubliners its called John’s Lane Church and its spire is the most recognisable landmark on Thomas Street. In fact its steeple is the highest steeple in the city, standing at over 200 feet (61.0 m). Construction of the church started in 1874 and is attributed to the celebrated Victorian architect, Edward Welby Pugin and his Irish partner, George Ashlin.
The church interiors are impressive, with stained glass windows by Mayer of Munich and the famous Harry Clarke studio. The church remains in use today and is owned by the Augustinians. There are regular masses, however the church is generally always open by day and makes the perfect stop-off from busy Thomas Street.