The Tailors’ Hall is Dublin’s only surviving guildhall. Guilds were professional trades associations which once held huge sway in the commercial life of the city. Each trade has its guild and each guild its own hall or place of meeting. The Tailor’s Hall on Back Lane was built in 1707 and remains of the most important 18th century buildings in the city. Road widening in the 1970s created the main view of the Hall from High Street, however the actual front and entrance of the building is on Back Lane.
Now the home to An Taisce – Ireland’s National Trust, Tailors Hall is open by appointment and may also be hired for events.