The End of Year Report for 2017 from The Liberties Business Area Improvement Initiative highlights just how much is happening in The Liberties at present. New development, building restorations, street improvements, new businesses, a flourishing culture scene, and year-around events are just some of the many features of the area to celebrate at the end of the forth year of the Initiative.
This year we highlight:
- The opening of Weaver Park, a flagship public amenity for the area and the first major park to be developed in The Liberties since St Patrick’s Park was laid out by Lord Iveagh in 1904. Look out for more enhancements in 2018, as a second park at Bridgefoot Street starts construction and a refurbished St Audoen’s Park reopens in spring.
- Our Liberties Enterprise Day event in October and the area’s participation in ‘Ireland’s Most Enterprising Town’. And locally, a Liberties Awards was inaugurated by The Liberties Festival and its major sponsor Diageo. Well done to Jack Roche and Tasty 8 of Meath Street, First Fortnight of South Earl Street and Liz O’Connor and the Breakfast Club team as this year’s winners.
- A special Night at the Movies beneath St Patrick’s Tower at The Digital Hub as part of the biggest Culture Night yet. And we held our very own Culture Date with Dublin 8 in May opening the door of national institutions in the area for a weekend of special events.
- Uncovering the story of St Thomas’s Abbey – the medieval genesis of The Liberties – with a major symposium, book and spectacular pageant through the streets of The Liberties.
- The opening of the Pearse Lyons Distillery at St James’s as a major new iconic attraction for the area celebrating the distilling tradition, coopering, connections to the Camino de Santiago and so much more.
- The announcement of a major new renewal project at St James’s Gate, set to transform the old brewery into a major new urban quarter. And the pace of development intensified at Newmarket, as work continues on another emerging district.
To read more about the great year past – click on the report below.