The Liberties has a number of great local parks and restful gardens. Ongoing investment by Dublin City Council has seen some older parks recently refurbished, while a new community park has been developed at Cork Street. Work will commence in 2020 on a second new community park at Bridgefoot Street. The area’s parks offer a wide range of different attractions and amenities, and most have historic settings.
This beautiful city park, situated beside St. Patrick's Cathedral, is thought by tradition to be the location that St. Patrick baptised the first Irish Christians, with water from the River Poddle which now flows underground. Developed by Lord Iveagh under the St. Patrick's Park Act of 1897, work was completed by July 1904 to a layout by Arthur Dudgeon. Lord Iveagh continued to maintain the park for a number of years under a joint arrangement with Dublin Corporation who eventually took full responsibility in the 1920's. With the stunning backdrop of the Cathedral, the park includes a playground, planted areas set around a fountain, the Dublin Literary Parade feauring well-known Dublin writers and their works, and a cafe. The park is open daily.
Weaver Park opened in 2018 and is one of two new community parks for the area. The award-winning park includes a skate bowl and integral features for skateboarding, a playground modeled on the historic gable houses once common to the area, an open lawn and beautiful planted areas. The park is open daily.
This small park, which has been recently restyled, forms a beautiful setting to the medieval church of St Audoen's, the city's oldest surviving parish church. The park includes a sunny terrace, a series of sensory play pieces to amuse young and old alike, and a number of historic markers and features uncovered as archaeology during its recent refurbishment. The park also includes the most imposing remaining section of the Anglo Norman city walls, including St Audoen's Gate. A memorial at the west end of the park remembers children who lost their lives in the events of Easter Week 1916. The park is open daily.
The Peace Park on Christchurch Place was originally laid out in 1988 to mark Dublin's millennium. The park has been recently restyled and now offers a lovel respite along the busy Dubline tourist trail through the city. At its centre, a simple raised lawn grows in soil from the Fields of Flanders as a touching marker to the dead of World War I. A sculptural piece at the rear of the park represents the Tree of Life. The adjoining ruin is the former Church of St Nicholas Within. The park is open daily.
This small park off Thomas Street was originally the graveyard attached to St Catherine's Church. The park includes a simple formal layout of paths, some fine trees and a series of gravemarkers. The sculptural piece 'Adult and Child Seat' by Jim Flavin was installed in 1988 as part of a Millennium art commission. The east wall of the park dates to the 17th century.
This sunny terrace is formed from part of what was the north churchyard of St Luke's Church - a local parish that closed in the 1960s and languished as a ruin for a number of decade. The church remains have recently been conserved and repurposed to create a contemporary office. The small park includes seasonal planting.