Christ Church Cathedral is among Dublin’s oldest buildings, a leading visitor attraction and a place of pilgrimage for almost 1,000 years. Renowned for its beauty, architecture and exquisite floor tiles, it is home to the famous 12th century crypt, one of the oldest and largest in Britain and Ireland. Perfectly located in the heart of Medieval Dublin, it was founded in 1030 by Sitriuc, King of the Dublin Norsemen and was incorporated into the Irish Church in 1152 and eventually led by the famous Archbishop and patron saint of Dublin, Laurence O’Toole. In the later 19th century the Cathedral was extensively remodelled and refurbished by means an astonishing philanthropic gift of £230,000 by Henry Roe, a fabulously-wealthy whiskey baron. At this time the adjoining Synod Hall and connecting Bridge across St Michael’s Hill were added.
Over the years, Christ Church has borne witness to many significant events including the crowning of Lambert Simnel as Edward VI in 1487. Today, it houses the important Treasures of Christ Church which features manuscripts and ancient artefacts as well as a spectacular exhibition of original 16th Century costumes from the historical series ‘The Tudors’. Designed by Emmy award winning designer Joan Bergin, the opulent costumes from the drama have travelled the world including a display in Macy’s New York.
Visit the cathedral gift shop and “Treasures of Christ Church” exhibition in the Medieval crypt. Audio tours in English and Italian.
“Irrespective of denomination, faith or non faith we welcome everyone as a pilgrim and it is our hope that as the pilgrim leaves, he or she will have been touched in some way by the love of God which shines in the beauty of this place. Maybe some day you will come as a pilgrim and visit this place which is the heart of Dublin”.
The Very Revd Dermot Dunne, Dean of Christ Church Cathedral