Environmental initiatives, community associations and civic pride in the south west inner city were recognised last evening at the South Central Area City Neighbourhood Awards sponsored by Dublin City Council. Initiatives ranging from community-wide cleanup, regular litter picks of the Canal and green spaces, beautification projects in estate and housing complexes and individual projects by local businesses and residents were all on show at the ceremony in Bulfin Court in Inchicore. Among the winners this year:
- Residents of Michael Malin House who won ‘Best Flat/Apartment Complex’ for their ongoing environmental improvements
- Rialto Cottages who came first in their category of ‘Residential Area <150 Houses’
- Maryland Residents Association who won recognition for their work to the Grotto in ‘Residential Area 150-300 Houses’
- Rialto Environmental Group who have put such huge work into enhancing their ‘Urban Village’
- The Bakery at Rialto, which won ‘Best Shopfront’
- And Back of the Pipes Residents who were recognised for their ‘Community Environmental Initiative’.
The Competition really shows the value that local communities can add to their area when they work together and with local businesses and Dublin City Council. Groups such as Inchicore Environmental Group, Rialto Environmental and Tidy Drimnagh have made great strides to improve their neighbourhoods, amenities and shopping areas. And it would be great to support more initiatives like this in The Liberties to add to the projects recognised this year.
Want to get involved?
If you think your local area would benefit from an active environmental group, who not try and get one started with a mini cleanup or a starter event.
Community Development group SICCDA are organising a Liberties clean-up to coincide with World Cleanup Day. Why not lend a hand!
Saturday, September 21, 2019
Meet at Little Flower, 11 Meath St, D8 -10:30am
Clean up: 11:00am – 1pm
Post Clean Up Refreshments: 1-2:30pm in The Little Flower
More details contact Kathleen 01 453 6098, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call into SICCDA, 90 Meath St, D8.